Friday, January 4, 2013

Tragi-Com(edy)

I can't go back and change things,
Can't go back and change me;
What's done is done,
that water moves on
And that's as far as the mind can see.

Its a simple poem, a rhyme that carries reason for me.  I have lived a few lives in this life time.  Been poor of things, poor of friends and poorer still of love. I have raced against the edge of acceptable hard enough to lose control, ending relationships in a beautiful disaster.  Hurt myself and lord knows countless others, but putting on a show for the casual spectator.  As if I try to make bad happen, as if I need the negative?

But I've been rich with love beyond measure, befriended by the best of character and had the comfort of not having to worry with the contents of my bank.   I have been fortunate to sail this planet as a pirate, knight, nobleman, lover and coffee shop scholar.  I've soaked in knowledge of many things, spilled my own experiences upon unsuspecting audiences and made more people laugh than cry.  I've taken what wasn't mine, tried hard to not keep what I didn't need and worked on leaving everything I touch better than the way I found it.

If you were to ask me; "what would you change?" I would not have a ready made answer. My life, at times, has been a tragic reminder of my weaknesses but its been fun.  I smile because no matter what I'm going through or how I 'feel' at the time there is always another who's in worse shape.  I have the gifts of sight, sound and scent so I can enjoy the treasures of earth.  The scent of jasmine, the smile of a child and the combined efforts of a woman who catches my attention. I'm healthy and fit and active and adventurous enough, with a quick smile and handsome eyes with funny friends, smart support people and hero's at my back; all that may make my life slightly better than the 'average Joe' and I can assure you is always a good thing.

My life, I like to believe, has been a bit of an adventure mixed with great sadness and equal parts humor like a sadistic play being written to make one cry and laugh at the exact same moment.  So are there things I would change?  Probably, but what would they be; what event would I circumvent to reduce the sadness or heartbreak and then what events would never take place?

Its all a moot point anyway;

I can't go back and change things,
Can't go back and change me;
What's done is done,
that water moves on
And that's as far as the mind can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment